Note: The date is past but remains visible for donations.
CSCDE is excited to announce the return of the Delaware Bicycle Route 1 Challenge on Sunday, September 26, 2021. This is a very special and unique ride that will be an inspiration for many in the community who have been touched by cancer. The memorable event features a 146-mile challenge all throughout Delaware by triathlete and endurance junkie, Sean Saxton. In honor of Sean’s aunt who he lost to colorectal cancer, Sean’s dedication to raising money for those impacted by cancer honors her life and legacy that she left behind. In 2020, Sean and his team raised almost $6K for CSCDE and he set an unofficial fastest known time on the course. He hopes this will continue to inspire others to complete the ride and tie their efforts to a cause that is meaningful to them.
Want to see more? Click here for 2020 highlight reel. Click here to explore the interactive route that Sean will be riding!
Images above: Challenge Rider, Sean Saxton (L), Sean with mom and grandmother at the finish (R).
Ways to get involved:
- We are looking for captains throughout certain areas of the 146 mile course to set up table(s), lawn parties, gather volunteers and raise funds for this worthy cause.
- Collect names (and donations) in honor/memory/fighting cancer and we label the cyclist with name on the bike and/or message on the pace car.
- Collect names (and donations) in honor/memory/fighting cancer for display at the after party in Sussex County (TBD)
- Find local businesses and organizations willing to participate
- Get permission from local businesses that are on the bike course to set up a table, signage in the windows, streamers, cheerleaders etc.
- Be a social media influencer promoting the event and on event day as he drives by!
- Set up a Facebook fundraising page
Tailgate after-celebration will be near MD/DE state line at Fenwick Islander Bike Shop in the parking lot. Check back for updates. BYO! Light refreshments will be available.
Click below on the logo to sponsor, purchase, donate or attend this event. Questions? Contact Michelle Mallon at [email protected]
Mile Markers currently needing cheerleaders:
New Castle County (locations vary)
Kent County (locations vary)
Old Inlet Bait and Tackle, Bethany Beach, DE